Drivers in Wilmington should expect delays as approximately 4,000 runners take part in the Novant Health Marathon, Half-Marathon, and 5K on Saturday, Feb. 25.
The race will begin around 7 a.m. at the Johnnie Mercers Pier in Wrightsville Beach and head down Eastwood Road to MLK Parkway, finishing at Riverfront Park around 1:30 p.m. The full marathon will include a route toward Greenfield Lake. A map of the race route can be found here.
Drivers should be aware of detours and barricades that will be in place along the race route.
Here’s a list of associated road and lane closures in downtown, South Front & Greenfield Lake:
- Southbound North Front Street between North Third & Red Cross streets
- Red Cross Street between North Front & North Water streets
- North Water Street between Red Cross & Walnut streets
- North Water Street between Chestnut & Princess streets
- Princess Street between North Front & North Water streets (access to Water St. Center Parking lot via Princess St. & N Front St. (controlled)
- Southbound Front Street between Princess St. &
- Southbound Front Street between North Third & Dawson streets (cross streets of, Nun, Ann, Orange, Dock, Market, Princess Chestnut, Grace, Walnut, Hanover, Brunswick, Harnett & Cowan streets open to vehicular traffic with controlled crossing by WPD and event volunteers)
- Westbound Orange Street between South Front & South Water streets
- Church Street at South Front Street
- Queen Street at South Front Street
- Northbound South Front Street between Burnett Boulevard/Carolina Beach Road and Dawson Street.
- South Front Street on-ramp to Cape Fear Memorial Bridge / westbound U.S. 74/76
- Greenfield Street between South Front Street & South Fifth Avenue / West Lakeshore Drive (eastbound lane open for resident/business access to South Front Street residents/businesses on Greenfield Street/North Second Street.)
- Northbound Nutt Street between Red Cross & Harnett streets
- Nutt Street Extension between Cowan Street & Harnett Street
- (Lane closure) Inside lane of W. Lakeshore Dr., from S 5th St. to Woodland Ave. – no vehicular traffic clockwise around Greenfield Lake